The Alhambra had many elaborate and beautiful gardens.
We took a city minibus up to the top if a mount that the Alhambra sits but got off one stop to early but this was a happy mistake.
We came across a free garden complex called Carmen de los Martires (Carmen of the Martyrs Gardens). It’s history is long and complicated but it first served to support the Alhambra complex with stores of grain and salt.
Then after Isabella’s troops arrived a hermitage was founded around 1492 and stayed on the site until 1835 when the friers left.
The Covent was demolished less than a 10 years later and the gardens were first designed in the late 1850s under the new owner General Carlos Calderón, who built the Carmen de los Mártires and sustained it for many years.
But by the 1960, after much neglect, the gardens became unrecognizable
It was made a public garden in the 70s and restored as a example of historical Spanish garden design. It had lovely water features, amazing views and a muster of peacocks with 1 boy peacock strutting, and ruffling his feathers for the ladies (and one ambivalent boy junior).
After entering the Alhambra gates we walked through ruins and gardens and after touring the main palace complex we walked through the Generalife gardens.
Where the prince would go to exercise and relax when palace life go to be too much.